Yep, we have left Wilmington. It was sad saying goodbye to our friends and the house but we knew it was coming. Can I just say though that moving SUCKS! We decided to go ahead and do what the military calls a "ditty move". This is where we move ourselves and they pay us back for our expenses plus a percentage of the weight that we move. So the thinking is that we will actually make some money on the move. Looking back though, we probably won't do that again. hahaha. It was a ton of work and would have been a lot more work if it weren't for the support of our wonderful friends and family.
Thank you to the following people -
Fran, Ann and Mark - the drove 8 hours from MD to help us
Matt, Danielle and Julianna - Matt came to help us load/unload the truck AND they drove up to Elizabeth city with the trailer (which broke down on the way but I will get into that in a minute). Thankfully Danielle and Matt's family is about 30 min south of E-City so they were able to visit while they were here.
Chris - for helping to load the truck
Smitty - helping to unload the truck
Other CG guys whom I can't remember names but you know who you are!
Ok so here is some more detail about our crazy move!
Fran, Ann and Mark showed up Thursday/Friday (the 9th/10th) to help us pack/move and thank goodness they were here because the move became such a cluster-you know what that we needed as much help as we could get. We have WAY TOO much stuff - its ridiculous. We rented a 26 foot truck from u-haul, the biggest they have, and it still wasn't enough. We then borrowed a trailer from a friend to haul the rest of our stuff and we still couldn't fit it. Figures. lol
We got the truck on friday and the plan was to start loading it up friday afternoon and then saturday morning (trying to leave wilmington by 12). That plan went right out the window pretty early - we didn't get finished loading everything we were taking until saturday at 5pm and we still had a 4+ hour drive ahead of us. We were exhausted. We left quite a lot of "little" stuff at the house and a lot of cleaning still to do. I started to get stressed because I knew I was going to have to do it on my own since Matt couldn't get any more time off that coming week and we were supposed to be closing on thursday. Thankfully Fran extended his leave and stayed a few extra days to come back to wilmington with me. Ok so back to saturday, we stopped to get some chick-fil-a on our way out of town and while we were there our friend that was hauling the trailer for us called saying that the wheels on the trailer were smoking. What?? So they were pulled off the road about 30 min outside of town. We finally got there to meet them and knew that we couldn't drive the trailer to the new house, we had to leave it somewhere and come back for it. The hotel across the street was great and let us store it there. We didn't get to the house until after midnight and we had no idea where anything was for everyone to sleep. It was crazy. Luckily I had the pack-n-play easily accessible for jack. The rest of us didn't get much sleep.
Sunday was spent unloading the truck and trying to figure out where everything was going in this house. It is a cute house but small - a little over 1100 sq ft. We are going to have to get creative here. Ann and Mark left in the afternoon to go back to Maryland and Fran left to head back down to the trailer so he could get it fixed early the next morning. He just stayed in the hotel which he was probably thankful to do since we didn't have much here for him to sleep on. :)
Monday and Thursday we have just been unpacking, moving stuff to storage and exploring our new city. There is not much here really - the biggest thing is walmart. lol No target, Barnes and noble, old navy, etc - we are going to have to take trips up to VA for major shopping. We have tried to go on a few walks but its been so hot and there are not many sidewalks. Thank god we got the cable/internet hooked up! Tuesday/Wednesday we went back to Wilmington to load up the rest of the stuff, paint and clean. That really sucked but again, thankful that Fran was with me. It probably would have taken me two days to get that done if I was by myself. I ended up taking Jack to his old day care for the day so he would be out of our hair.
We were supposed to close Thursday the 16th but I guess the lenders dropped the ball on something so all the paperwork wasn't ready. We are now closing today (the 22nd). Boy was I glad that we rushed back to get the cleaning done! LOL Actually the closing should be just about done right now!
Jack has been doing OK with the move - I think now that we are back for good, we can get back into a schedule. He has really been a bear lately and since I am stressed out, I feel like I haven't been handling it very well. Change is hard on everyone I think. Even the animals have been freaked out. They aren't used to the house or the yards and it isn't as easy to just let them out in the front to play. They were spoiled at the old house.
No comments:
Post a Comment